- Beautiful wax begonias make an excellent addition to your container garden. fb.me/1vOVAo5aZ 4 days ago
- We love our all natural cleaning products 😍 Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day method home J.R. Watkins Bona Hardwood Floor... fb.me/5tZBABN69 5 days ago
- All Kaemingk HQ products are 25% off through July 31- shop home & gardening decor, lights, and more while... fb.me/24lORvvcM 6 days ago
- $20 5th St. Ace Hardware 5th Street Ace 5th Street ace hardware 2010 color trends Ace ace hardware a few cool hardware stores artificial trees back to school Baltimore batteries big box Biking CFL charity Children's Miracle Network Hospitals christmas Christmas cookies christmas gifts christmas tree lots christmas trees cookies costar costumes Coupon craftsman custom blinds dc council DIY dog toy duke ellington school of the arts Dyson energy efficiency Energy Saver fall planting families federal hill ace flashlight free Fresh Wave Garden gina schaefer Glover Park Hardware grills halloween hand sanitizer Hardware heat wave Holiday holiday decor holiday gifts holiday party home depot Home Improvement Home Maintenance hunter douglas interior design kumquat tree Ladies' Night Lawn and Garden logan hardware old takoma ace organization paint patio furniture pet adoption red hot buys roslyn ashford Sale urban referrals washington dc waverly ace weatherization wigzi
Tag Archives: 5th Street Ace
Looking to adopt two of the cutest felines in the entire world? You must meet Oreo and Daisy. More animal adoption possibilities in June at 5th Street Ace’s pet adoption day and in Baltimore on July 17 (Federal Hill Ace) and 24 (Waverly Ace).
During Snowmageddon 2010: Part I, we ran out of shovels. (You can’t blame us. When does DC Metro ever get more than 3 inches at a time?) Our buyer, Robbie, hastily ordered more, and Jeremy, the manager at 5th Street Ace, decided to try his hand at making one himself. In between answering frantic phones and calming frenzied customers, he cobbled together a prototype that, we have to admit, is pretty awesome. We, of course, filmed the project and set it to music. It’s fun. It’s silly. And it’s a good indication of just how handy our staff is.
[Yes, we’re a little late getting this movie together (four months to be exact), but perfection takes time.]
The French have an expression: Moins est plus. Less is more. And that is the foundation for most home-decluttering ventures. Get rid of what you don’t need, wear or use. (Rule of thumb: If you haven’t thought about it, or worn it in six months (or even three), hand it over to good will or consignment.)
Once you’ve got your stuff to a manageable and useful pile, what to do? ORGANIZE. That was the theme of our Tuesday workshop @ 5th Street Ace with Roslyn Ashford, interior designer and home-staging pro. If you missed it (we had a great turn out with wine and snacks!), here are some of her tips for getting your digs together for 2010:
Supplies: Measuring tape, pencil, paper
1. Divide your closet into zones: Areas for hanging long and short items, shelves & drawers, shoes, accessories. (Accessories for men–ties, belts, caps. Women–purses, bags, belts, scarves, hats.
2. Measure these zones so you know how much room you’re dealing with.
3. Also weasure all the walls, not just the ones wherne you think your clothes will go. Pay attention to depth, height and closet door opening.
4. Plot the structure, placing the zones into walls in your space. Start with the longest wall for hainging, then shelves & drawers, then shoes.
5. Once the structure is complete, finish with closet accessories for your accessories. These can be clear drawers, scarf hangers, dividers.
Additional items you’ll want to consider:
- Full-length mirros
- Proper lighting
- Bureau for underwear, socks, pajamas
- Seating if you have a walk in
- Color for interior walls
Still working through holiday decor and gift ideas? If so, stop by 5th Street Ace on Saturday 12/12. As part of the community holiday shopping event, we’re having 25% off all holiday merchandise, free hot coffee and tea, coupons, donuts in the morning, cookies in the afternoon and a full day of holiday cheer!
Oh, and vote for your favorite employee-made ornament and you’re entered to win a $25 Ace gift card!
What’s on sale:
Artificial trees and wreathes
Handmade ornaments (hammers and tools – so cute!)
Chanukah candles and CRAYONS!
Chew toys (Dreidels, Santas, Snowmen)
Snowflake window decals
3-D glasses (very important when looking at holiday lights)
Cookie cutters in Chanukah shapes