Oh yeah. We’re excited.
In case you haven’t heard the news, Logan Hardware was voted DC’s Best Hardware Store in the Express’ Best of 2012 Contest. And we are pumped!
We couldn’t have done it without our amazing customers that come in every day — some for as long as we’ve been open (almost 10 years!). Your support and commitment to shopping locally has made Logan Hardware and A Few Cool Hardware Stores what it is today.
Make sure you grab a copy of the Express today to see all the Best of DC Winners.
And again: THANK YOU!
(from the bottom of our hearts)
Things just got a whole lot “craftier” at Waverly and Federal Hill Ace stores. We’ve covered our tools and hardware sections in Craftsman tools, which has been voted America’s most trusted tool brand. Not too shabby!
Ace Garbage Disposal with 3/4 horsepower and 5-year warranty. Retails for $169.99 (sku: 47984)
I recently stuck my hand down my garbage disposal to fish out a rubber something or other. I held my breath the whole time. I felt like Chunk from the Goonies when he comes to Jesus with the Fratelli brother’s blender. As scary as these food and hand mincers are, they are crucial to Western culture, and when it breaks down…oy vey. I usually call my property manager for this type of work, but for those of you not lucky enough to be renters (ahem), you gotta do it yourself. Here’s a play by play of a clogged disposal (nasty water and all) and how to fix it.
Sometimes you need a new disposal, and we have purchasing recommendations:
1. Don’t go less than 1/2 horsepower. Jeremy suggests 5/8 or 3/4 horsepower if you plan on throwing down vegetables etc. everyday.
2. Larger motors tend to be quieter.
3. Larger motors also have longer warranties.
Installing your own is easy, but you should know what you are doing. Check out this how-to tutorial.
From Ace’s merchandising department:
Color for 2010 is sophisticated, organic, and contemporary yet comforting. According to World Global Style Network, the tinted, shadowy colors inspire a romantic mood with overtones of drama. Dense darks create mystery and a desire for hibernation.
Here is a recap of what to expect in the 2010 season:
- Dark charcoal replaces true black.
- Grays are tinted with blue, green and mauve for a new take on neutrals.
- Greens turn more gray and to oceanic blue-greens. You will also see brighter spearmint greens.
- Intense indigo-ink blue and gray-tinted blues are important.
- Rich purples are tinted with gray or brighter blue. Dark mauves have an almost brown cast and pale tones are washed out or metallic-inspired.
- True yellow is replaced with nature-inspired tones of corn and wheat. Browns and oranges are organic and earth-based.
- Color-washed pales are pretty and clean with a hint of nostalgia.
- Super-bright red with an orange cast is important, as are raspberry and watermelon.
- Highlights of neon pink and bright lime are used across many palettes to add a modern aesthetic.
- Another important trend is using bright colors on accent pieces like chairs and side tables.
Stay tuned for our painting DIY video with Kendra at Tenleytown Ace Hardware.